Hilary Duff Gets Daring

Lately, Hilary’s stepped out of her comfort zone to write about intensely personal events, take on challenging roles, and embark on a hot romance with a guy she calls her total opposite. Hear the revealing scoop right here.

Hilary Duff breezes into her Cosmo cover shoot at a New York City photo studio and cheerily gives out hugs and kisses to everyone on set. You'd never know the girl hasn't been getting much sleep lately until she makes a desperate request: "A skim latte with an extra shot of espresso — please!"

And while some young celebs require an energy boost because they've been hanging at nightclubs until the wee hours, Hilary's just seeking to fuel her ambitious work agenda. It's a schedule that entails recording new music, working on two films, raising money for kids through the Blessings in a Backpack organization, and going on a world tour. "This has been a big cleansing year for me," the Texas native declares. "I learned a ton about myself, and I became really independent. I feel like I grew up a lot."

And we're not just talking emotional maturity here — at 20, with long honey-colored locks, a smokin' bod, and killer confidence, Hilary's looking every bit the hot Hollywood starlet. Dressed in white skinny jeans, 4-inch heels, and a sexy off-the-shoulder black top, it's hard to believe she's the same girl who not long ago starred in such family-friendly flicks as Cheaper by the Dozen and 2004's A Cinderella Story.

Appearance aside, she's making more sophisticated professional choices too. She recently finished filming War, Inc., a political satire, alongside John Cusack, and she's now working on a drama with veteran actress Ellen Burstyn called Greta, which deals with suicide. Furthermore, her latest album, Dignity — which she's re-releasing early this year with two new tracks — references the difficult subject of her parents' recent divorce.

Writing music, she says, was somewhat of a catharsis. "It's therapeutic, but it's also stressful because it's hard to open yourself up like that," she says. "I felt kind of numb for a while-nothing made me too sad, and nothing made me too happy. But about four months ago, I thought, 'Wow, I feel like myself again.' "

Coincidentally or not, Hilary's happiness rebounded around the time she met her current boyfriend- Mike Comrie, pro hockey player for the New York Islanders- on a plane while headed to Idaho to vacation with mutual friends. They've been inseparable ever since, spending time in Canada (where he's from), L.A., and New York. When Mike stops by the Cosmo shoot, they sit, heads bowed in conversation. Halfway through lunch, Kanye West's "Stronger" blasts over the studio speakers, prompting Hilary to stand up and dance flirtatiously in front of Mike. Now this is a side of Hilary few people have seen.

Days later, on the set of Greta at the Jersey Shore, Hilary explains what drew her to Mike. "He's funny, and I like that. And of course I'm attracted to him!" she says with a giggle. "I love men who have a lot going on in their lives, like I do." Presumably referencing her ex, Joel Madden (who at press time was awaiting the birth of his child with girlfriend Nicole Richie), Hilary says: "Everyone thought that my last boyfriend and I were complete opposites. We weren't-we just looked so different. But Mike and I really are opposites, even though we look more like we should be together."

So how serious is it? "I'm definitely not ready to get married!" she says, then adds, "I think a reason that people in this business get married young is that they feel like everything comes to them sooner in life. It's normal to be like 'Okay, what's next?' "

For Hilary, the next thing on tap is maintaining the equilibrium she's found...in all areas of life. "There definitely was a time when I was pretty obsessed with my weight, but I'm better off not stressing about my body all the time," she says. "It's not attractive when girls get superskinny. Guys don't like it. Girls don't like you as much. You lose some happiness when that's all you think about." And why stress about your waistline when there are way more fun things to do, such as cooking at the house she shares with sister Haylie or going to the movies and the beach? "I like to go out but not every night," she says. "All the paparazzi attention is so heightened right now." Something tells us that if anyone can stand up to the scrutiny, it's Hilary, who told Cosmo, "My mom always says, 'If you don't believe in something , you'll lose yourself completely.' " Clearly, what Hilary believes in is staying away from drama, even in a town that thrives on it. And that may be her most daring feat of all.

No comments